J H Adams & Co, Pharmaceutical Chemists, Stoke-on-Trent 


Key Facts

Years Trading (Known)

Known Addresses



1842 - ????

20 High Street, Stoke




J H Adams were founded in 1842, and occupied premises at 20 High Street, Stoke, directly opposite the junction with Liverpool Road. This 1879 map shows the shops location highlighted in red:

Following the renaming of many of the city's roads in the 1950's, High Street was separated into two separate roads, Church Street and Hartshill Road.

The following article, taken from 'A Descriptive Account of the Potteries (Illustrated), 1893 Advertising and Trade Journal', goes into detail of the products and services available from the chemist at the time, and also shows the building frontage :

(above image Courtesy of S Birks, thepotteries.org)


The building is still standing today and is presently occupied by Wards Property Services: